Interstate I-91 Bradley Airport Connector Cost: $103M | Project Area: 10 miles
Bradley International Airport is a civil/military airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, in Hartford County, Connecticut. Owned and operated by the Connecticut Airport Authority, it is the second-largest airport in New England.
- Luchs was responsible for all aspects of design from survey to construction engineering and management of the airport connector from I-91 to Bradley International Airport.
- Project required completion in only fourteen months, an extremely fast time-frame.
- Project necessitated the use of one of the first curved girder box-beam bridges in Connecticut.
- Delays in airport traffic had to be minimized at all times.
- Topographic, Planimetric, and Property Survey
- Geotechnical Investigation
- Traffic Analysis and Signal Design
- Roadway Geometric Layout for 3.6 miles of expressway and 5.0 miles of secondary roads
- Bridge Structural Design for 9 bridges including the 500 foot span over the Farmington River
- Drainage System and Wetlands Mitigation Measures
- Sanitary Sewer and Pump Station Relocation
- Water Distribution System Modifications
- Preparation of Design Documents for Construction
- Construction Engineering and Management