Quinnipiac Avenue, New Haven, CT Cost: $25M | Project Area: 1.4 miles
Luchs Consulting Engineers LLC was selected by the City of New Haven as the prime consultant to provide full professional design and permitting services for this 1.4-mile reconstruction project. The project was designed in accordance with the Connecticut Department of Transportation Highway and Federal AASHTO standards.
- Design safety and operational improvements to this important urban collector road in the historic area along the Quinnipiac River.
- Maintain the historic character of this upcoming neighborhood while providing safety improvements.
- Provide proper, safe geometry in a very tight available city rights of way
- Slow and calm traffic along this residential neighborhood
- Minimize impact to adjacent residential properties
- Improve storm drainage system to minimize flooding
- Avoid impact to major utility facilities along the corridor
- Innovative solutions to keep sidewalk elevations at the same elevation as front yards while improving roadway geometry
- Initiate and maintain a public outreach program with the active neighborhood groups to convey the proposed improvements and seek their support
- Introduce a mini-roundabout at the south end of the project to calm traffic
- Design operational and safety improvements at the signalized intersection of Quinnipiac Ave at Grant Street
- Provide close coordination with all utility companies to streamline the construction process