Scroll

Waterbury Firehouse No. 4, Waterbury, CT Cost: $750,000 | Project Area: 7,000 sf

Built in 1908 as a two-bay fire station, this historic structure required prior approval by the State Historic Preservation Office, the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism.

Task:

  • Code upgrades to this historic two-bay facility aesthetically based on a Renaissance Revival interpretation of an Italian palazzo

Challenge:

  • Built in 1908
  • Code upgrades: fully enclosed fire stair and enhanced fire separation between the first story equipment bays and the second-story living quarters
  • Exterior work required approval by the State Historic Preservation Office, the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism

Solution:

  • Exterior: reroofing and replacement of dormer oeil-de-boeuf windows, rebuilding in-kind the prominent, but badly deteriorated, sheet metal cornice, and the addition of the fire stair
  • The exterior of the stair was carefully considered in the context of the overall building with its brick base rusticated similar to the original building’s rustication
  • The height of the stair was kept below that of the original cornice
  • The stairs setback from the main façade was, in part, chosen to assure that the addition would recede in relation to the original structure
  • Interior: fire separation was created between the apparatus bay and the remainder of the building while retaining the historic window casings and wainscot of that space
  • On the upper floor, even simple items such as firefighter personal belonging closets were finished with a sensitivity to the original details of this largely unaltered station
  • Coordinate time-sensitive relocation of apparatus from headquarters